Thursday, January 14, 2010

Helping Haiti

Saw a tweet on my twitter feed this morning -- text the word "Haiti" to 90999 and your cell carrier will donate $10.00 to the Red Cross. In fact, it was a tweet from singer/songwriter Amy Grant.

I researched the effort online, and it looks like it's true. As of the time I am writing this (7:21 a.m. PST) the Red Cross has collected some $3 million through this effort. THREE MILLION DOLLARS in what I think is less than 24 hours and may be even less than 12 hours.

Social networking used for good -- I really, REALLY like that.

So, if you wish to give an immediate $10.00 for the relief of Haiti, please text the word Haiti to 90999.

There are other efforts underway. Compassion International has a disaster relief fund set up, and you can donate to it online if you wish. I am a Compassion sponsor, although my child isn't in Haiti. Another Compassion sponsor from our online blogging community is Melanie -- and her sponsored child IS in Haiti. Right now she has no idea whether the child and her family are safe.

You don't have to be a Compassion sponsor to donate to the Haiti relief through Compassion. See http://www.compassion.com/ to make your donation online.

If there are other relief efforts you want to highlight, please do so on your blog. I'd enjoy reading about them and I think that others would as well. The online community is shaping up to be a major resource for getting out the word.

So, that's two that I am putting out there: the text message relief (Red Cross) and Compassion's disaster fund.

And, as always, we need to continue praying for the people of Haiti.

- Catherine

No comments: