Saturday, January 30, 2010

Birds of a feather

My husband handed me his favorite down vest the other day, wondering if it could be washed. This vest, which I purchased about 8 years ago, has been a total work horse. Tim wears it whenever he's working on a construction project in cold weather, and his love for this vest shows, believe me -- because it's covered with paint stains, bits of glue, and much, much sawdust.

I put it in the washing machine, using the delicate cycle recommended on the label. Then I put it in the dryer on very low.

I forgot to check if there were holes in it before I did any of the above.

You guessed it.

Down and feathers everywhere! And I don't know how long it will be before I finally get all of it out of the washer and dryer. Every time I open one of the machines, it looks like something inside is molting.

The vest, by the way, is a shadow of its former puffy self.

My husband hasn't seen it yet.

I may never show it to him because I think he might cry.

- Catherine

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh no...it's funny how we get attached to a piece of clothing. And what a mess to clean up...I'm sure they just fly up everywhere...maybe run an old towel thru the dryer and see if they stick? Good luck!

Susanne said...

Oh, oh. I hate it when stuff like that happens. Can you purchase another online?

Christy Duffy said...

Hope your hubby knows it was washed with love...!