Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday's Fave Five

It's the weekly roundup of highlights -- more importantly, it's the weekly reflection on what it is that has made me smile this week. I don't know about anyone else, but it's just too easy to fall into the rut of thinking negatively, so I am grateful to Susanne at Living to Tell for hosting this weekly meme.

1. Putting technology to good use by texting a charitable donation to the American Red Cross for their Haiti relief fund. Now THAT is cool. The word about the relief effort was spread via the Internet -- blogs, twitter, Facebook -- and giving the donation required only a quick and simple text message from one's cell phone. Being able to jump in and help immediately feels a lot better than sitting Stateside and wringing my hands. I send a shout-out to the cell carriers, too, for being willing to channel the funds through their accounting systems. Thank you!

2. Being able to get out of the cold of Idaho and experience a few days of the moderate temperature of San Francisco.

3. Spending about an hour out on the Bay yesterday, on a ferry ride that I took for fun and relaxation. Lovely!

4. Room service breakfast -- the ultimate luxury, but the only way to get ready on time for a morning meeting. I wonder if my husband would consider bringing breakfast on a tray to me at home????

5. Orthotics for my poor feet - they really do provide a level of comfort that I can no longer go without.

I'm in San Francisco until Sunday, and then home again.

Have a great weekend!

- Catherine

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ahhh San Fran...never have been! I missed all the text info for donating...somedays I am a bit slow!

Have a great day!

Melissa said...

I agree about how great it is to be able to use modern technology to help the people of Haiti. I was amazed at how quickly it was set up and how fast the word spread. The power of social media, right?

Brenda said...

Glad you are enjoying SF, we spend a lot of time there ourselves. Your feet probably hurt from all the walking, I find I walk miles when I am in the city, but its good for me.

I too am thankful for technology when it comes to disasters, its so much easier to give to the right place.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Oooh, a trip. Room service, the Bay? That makes for a WONDERFUL week!

(By the way, I love your quote for marriage!)

Enjoy, enjoy!

Susanne said...

the Bay, a ferry ride, room service. Wow. Sounds wonderful!

storyteller said...

Yez ... technology opens up amazing possibilities doesn't it. Sounds like a wonderful 'get away' to the Bay Area. It's nice to meet you through Friday's Favs ;-)
Hugs and blessings,