Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursday randomness

I think Spring may finally be here. I'm not naive enough to believe that there will be no more snow -- after all, we've had snow in June a time or two. But there have been two -- count'em: one-two! -- warm, sunny days in a row. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. The birds are madly chasing each other all over the place and the crows are making a racket in every tree. 

I declare that Spring. Is. Here.

Whether Mother Nature wants to admit it or not.

This is the time of year when I am usually visiting my mother, so I've had some sadness these past few weeks. Around Easter we'd have been discussing the music she was doing in her church and what I'd be doing in mine. If she'd been alive and well this year, I'd have tried to convince her to fly to San Diego and meet me for a few days of beach time next week. She loved seeing the Pacific Ocean.  At the very least, I'd have been planning to visit her in the Central Mountains of Pennsylvania for a few days of R&R.

And, of course, Mother's Day is coming soon -- my first without her. No reason to send my customary bouquet of yellow roses and daisies (her favorite) or anything else that I thought might delight her or make her life easier. Last year on Mother's Day I sent her a cordless floor sweeper because she was finding the vacuum cleaner too heavy to handle as her strength weakened.

Instead I'll be visiting my stepmother in New Jersey on Mother's Day. It's been ages since I've been able to spend that holiday with her, and this year there is a serendipitous business trip taking me to New Jersey. It will be good to see her and the rest of my family.

The weekend starts tomorrow night -- hurrah! Time with my two best guys (hubby and #7)!

And on Saturday will be our church's annual Mad Hatter Tea Party -- a fun activity for the women. We wear silly hats, have lunch, have a time of worship and listen to a speaker.  I'm bringing the sautéed mushrooms for the Potato Bar lunch that we are serving. I'm also singing and playing for the worship session.  Can't wait! (I'll take a picture of my hat and post it here on the weekend.)

- Catherine

No comments: