Monday, April 26, 2010

Capturing nature in digital form

During our stay in San Diego, we took a 6-hour nature excursion on a boat, going about 20 miles out into the ocean to a cluster of islands known as Los Coronados Islands. There are four of them rising out of the sea, and except for one small area of one island, they are considered by Mexico to be a "biosphere" zone. No humans allowed on the islands.

The boat ride and the sightseeing along the islands was peerless -- I have many, many pictures to post here and will do some more blogging about it, I'm sure.

In the meantime, I just wanted to show you this fellow who landed on the boat as we were making our way back across the ocean to the mainland.

Shortly after this photograph, he took off again. So beautiful as he soared against the blue sky that I had to take another picture.

And this is what I got.

See him?

Me neither. The boat heaved into a swell just as I snapped.

But a few seconds later:

More to come!

- Catherine

1 comment:

Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

NICE! I love the sun on his back as you photograph from below, so that he has that little sunlit outline.

My problem with shooting is the dratted shutter lag. By the time the camera decides to respond to my pressing the button, either the whole photo has changed or the reason for it has vanished altogether.