Thursday, September 23, 2010

In which I am sick

Ever since the swine flu epidemic of 2009, I've assiduously washed my hands whenever I come home from being out. Hence, I haven't had a cold in over a year (handwashing really does work!).

I have one now.  I don't know where I got it.

My ears are tight, my muscles hurt, I'm sneezing and I'm wooly-headed (there's no other way to describe it -- you know the feeling).

Tea and homemade chicken broth are on the menu for my lunch.

And then a movie while I sit on the couch. I know they say you should stay active if you can, but my brain has definitely checked out and I think I'd be a danger to myself if I tried to do anything.

I remember my mother once calling me when she was in the throes of a major head/bronchial cold, leaving a message on my answering machine (this was in the days before voice mail).  "This is your mother," she intoned. "I've been forced to drink the brandy and now I'm going to bed." Click. I have laughed about this message ever since because it was obvious that she'd miscalculated the amount of brandy she would be needing to quiet her cough and had had a wee bit too much.

Since my church's Women's Retreat is coming up this Saturday and I am supposed to be leading worship, I sincerely hope I'm not forced to drink the brandy.

- Catherine

3 comments:

Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

Nurture yourself with...whatever works! 8~) Are you sure it's a cold, and not a bad allergic reaction to the dirt/mold/microbes in that carpet you cleaned? We did yard stuff yesterday and similar dirt/mold got into my bronchs and i've been coughing and head-achy ever since. Anyway, feel better!

Joyce said...

Sorry you're not feeling well. Chicken soup is usually good for whatever ails you so I hope it does the trick and you're feeling much better by the weekend! Rest and take care.

Christy Duffy said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!