Monday, March 8, 2010

Return from San Antonio

We are home from San Antonio. Do I have pictures? Not a one, I'm afraid.  The battery charger for my point and shoot camera is still MIA, and the camera is out of juice.  Very frustrating, because there were many photographs I could have taken.

First: warmth and sunshine. It did us a world of good to be able to walk around outside, no jacket, soaking up the vitamin D.

Second: a reunion with a childhood friend whom I haven't seen since 1973(!). I loved getting to know her again, getting to meet her husband, and just spending time with her. Sometimes you meet up with people from your past and you quickly realize that you no longer have anything in common.  Sometimes you meet up with people from your past and you fall very easily into relationship again.  This was one of those latter situations, and it was very lovely.

Third: we got to see the Broadway touring production of the musical South Pacific. It was wonderful! I've seen the two movie productions that were made over the years (Mitzi Gaynor in the 1950s movie version and Glenn Close's recent TV production).  Neither holds a candle to the actual stage show. This was the first time that the relationship between Nellie Forbush and Emil De Becque made sense to me -- the first time I could see the chemistry and the attraction.  Bonus: the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio, where the musical was staged, is a work of art in its own right. It is a historic theatre and has been lovingly restored down to the nth detail. And there is a lot of detail since it is the old Spanish style.  Beautiful.

Fourth: my childhood friend, on the night that we had dinner in San Antonio, invited us to stay overnight in their new vacation home in Corpus Christi. So on Saturday Tim and I drove down to Corpus, toured the USS Lexington museum (a WWII era aircraft carrier), and then relaxed on Kathy's deck overlooking the water.  I even got a tiny bit of sunburn!

Fifth: I'd gone to San Antonio to attend a conference, which turned out to be very interesting and informative -- I'm always happy when the time and money spent on professional development is not wasted.

All in all, it was a great week!

- Catherine

3 comments:

Cindy said...

What a lovely trip! That's always fun when you meet an old friend and discover you can pick up where you left off.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Glad you returned home safely! :)

Joyce said...

So glad you had such a good trip. It's always fun to re-connect with old friends. I'm jealous of the sunburn : )