I have tried to resist trends in my blog -- simply for the sake of resisting trends and not for any other good reason (although refraining from mindless copycat work IS a good reason). But last week I took part for the first time in the Random Dozen meme that is put together over at 2nd Cup of Coffee, and in so doing, I discovered a community of nice people with interesting and intelligent things to say. I discovered, also, people who will hold you up in prayer if you need it.
And THAT, my friends, is golden.
I also discovered the reason for another trend known as "Friday Fave Five" -- wherein you publish a list of five good things from the week just past. In this day and age of being bombarded by the negative most of the time, it is a Very Good Thing -- for your own emotional health -- to regularly pause and compile a list of the positives.
So, here's mine:
1. The aforementioned discovery of a new (to me) community of people in the blog-o-sphere.
2. After a year of searching, we found the perfect chairs/bar stools for the “breakfast bar” section of our kitchen. The biggest problem to surmount was the price – I simply couldn’t bring myself to pay $200+ per chair, and all the styles that I liked were at least that much. Last night we found two that were deeply discounted on clearance and were just exactly what I’d been looking for. They swivel just a little, have nicely padded seats in a quality, neutral fabric, and the chair backs are wrought iron-style with an oval tile inlay. They were worth the wait. I’m so glad we happened upon the last that the furniture store had in stock and really, really wanted to move out of their inventory.
3. The Fall weather has arrived – I LOVE this time of year! The foliage color in the West isn’t as vibrant as it is in the East, but this is still a very beautiful time in the mountains.
4. We are going camping, just the three of us and the dog, one last weekend (leaving today). We won’t stray too far from home, heading for Lava Hot Springs about 30 minutes away. Cool weather, Fall foliage, and warm springs – can’t wait!
5. Found some creative inspiration within myself this week and am actually working up a few Christmas projects.
And... because there's always room to recount one more blessing:
6. Tim is finally recovering from his bout with the flu. We didn’t have an official diagnosis, but the symptoms and timing were completely typical for H1N1. Happily, he is making good progress now.
Have a great weekend!