Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Grip

I had an ah-ha moment while I was practicing racquetball. I hesitated at first to write about this because there are many sports analogies utilized in Christian ministry.  But this I felt I had to write.

So, my ah-ha moment as I pounded the ball today was this: the grip is key.

When the grip is correct, it feels completely natural, it produces a huge amount of power from the most efficient effort level, and it keeps the racket stable in your hand, no matter how hard you whack the ball.

The grip is amazing in its significance to your game.

I want to be in God's grip at all times. I want Him holding me so that I have that power, that efficiency, that stability.

In racquetball, the grip needs support from well-placed feet and open eyes -- to produce accuracy as well as power and stability.

That's true in God's kingdom, too. Psalm 18:33 says "He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights."  Ephesians 1:18-19 says "... having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, ..."

I could, of my own will, place my feet badly. I could stick my head in the sand and keep my eyes closed too.  But if I let God do the placement of my feet, I am secure and accurate. And if I open the eyes of my heart, I will see where He wants me to work, and my aim will be true.  If I rest in His grip, I cannot be moved.

I want to be in God's grip.

- Catherine

No comments: