Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Random Dozen -- seasons changing

Our host, Lid at 2nd Cup of Coffee, is ending the Random Dozen (questions) that she has been creating each week for quite a while now. I've enjoyed being part of this and have met some new blogger friends through the experience.

But seasons change. 

Lid is sending us off with just two, rather serious, questions:

1. What scares you the most

A) Physically
B) Emotionally

Why does it scare you, and how do you cope?


A. I'm afraid of sheer drops and I'm afraid of drowning. I don't cope well with the thought of either possibility, so I try not to get myself into a situation where either could happen. Oh, and I have a true phobia of snakes -- don't even go there with me!  Panic mode sets in and it is an unlovely sight.

B. Typical mom and wife that I am, I'm afraid of either my husband or one of my kids dying.  I don't know how I would cope. I have had a rough year since my mother died -- and while I HAVE coped, it's not the kind of thing where you learn by experience.  Each grieving situation is unique. Losing Tim or one of the kids would be far worse than losing my mother.


2. What comes to mind when you read the phrase, "Nothing gold can stay?"
 
That question is based on Robert Frost's poem:
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. 

Some people have said they find this poem depressing, but to me it is just a recognition of how life rolls on. Some aspects of life are fragile, however treasured they may be. I would only add that even if something golden passes away from our lives, there are new golden things to come along, and sometimes the old gold even returns.

For a season.

Thank you, Lid, for making us think and giving us the opportunity to meet new friends!  It was a great season!  Hugs to you!

- Catherine

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I definitely do not want to die by drowning. That being said I'm a good swimmer and deep water doesn't make me nervous.

I'm trying to remember if I found your blog thru the Random Dozen? I know I've met lots of nice bloggers thru the Wednesday posts : )

Nel said...

Enjoyed your answers! I like the way you answered the golden question!
until next time... nel