Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Random Dozen - the Wednesday meme


Every Wednesday, Lid at 2nd Cup of Coffee hosts a meme -- where we answer questions about ourselves, then link up at her blog and visit around.  An online coffee klatch, if you will.  If you wish to participate, answer the questions on your own blog and then go to Lid's to link up with the rest of us (and visit around).  You can click on the button directly below to get to Lid's blog.


Thanks, Lid!

1. Is there a word which you initially mispronounced? Were the circumstances in which you made the faux pas embarrassing? By the way, that's not "foax pass." (I know you know that. Just jokin' with ya.)  In my head, while reading to myself, I always mispronounced the word "misled." I’d always read it as “mizel-ed” with a long “i” in the (emphasized) first syllable. I knew and used the word pronounced "miss-led" correctly in speaking.  I simply did not equate the spelling of “misled” with the pronounced “miss-led.”  Eventually I came to it on my own, without embarrassing myself!

2. How do you feel about the use of texting shortcuts and trends? (ex: "I've got ur notes. Get them 2 u 2morow.")   It’s okay in texting but not in anything else that’s written. I have a very hard time reading Facebook status updates or emails where texting shortcuts are used.  In fact, I tend not to read them because they drive me nuts.

3. Tell me about your high school senior picture. Please feel free to post.
  It’s a generic senior picture taken in the spring of junior year (spring of 1975). We had pictures taken with our cap and gown and then the girls could choose to have the "street clothes" shots taken wearing a black drape or a turtleneck of our choice.  I don’t know why I didn’t choose the black drape, so I’m wearing a brown turtleneck. And my hair is horrible. Thankfully I don’t have a scanned version of it. Anywhere. Nor will I ever have one. Anywhere.

5. Share a high school or college homecoming memory.
  I don’t have any! How sad is that? I went to a college that didn’t have a football team. And the only thing I remember about high school homecoming is that I had to perform on the field with the other flag twirlers, and that our football team in those days always lost the game.

6. Linda at Mocha with Linda wants to know: "Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?"
  Sunrises over the mountains, sunsets over the water.

7. Lea at Cici's Corner asks, "What is something you have not done that you desire to do?"  Sing professionally as a backup singer with a major act and/or sing professionally as a studio musician.

8. Carol at Wanderings of an Elusive Mind ponders, "If you could come back [in another life] as an animal, which would it be?"  I wouldn’t want to come back, truly. Once I’m done here on this earth, I’m done for good. I don’t want to come back as anything.

9. Joyce from The Other Side of the Pond is curious: "Where were you 10 years ago?" Please feel free to elaborate more than just your physical location.  I was in New Jersey, raising my daughter, working my job, and preparing to marry this great guy from Idaho in about 2 months’ time (and we are coming up on our 10th wedding anniversary in December!).

10. When you are proven to be correct in any contentious discussion, do you gloat?  Depends on the relationship with the person who opposes me.  If it’s someone I’m very close to and they know I’m only doing it in fun (and the argument ended with us as friends), I might pretend to gloat.  But in all seriousness, and especially with someone where the relationship is distant or fragile, I never gloat.  It’s just rude, really.

11. What is your favorite food which includes the ingredient "caramel?"  Dark Chocolate Pecan Turtles. (A chocolate covered confection of pecans and caramel). 

12. From my 17 year-old daughter to you: "If you could be part of any fictional family, which family would you choose and why?" (She's so cute. And clever.)  From my viewpoint of being 52 years old, I would choose to be part of the Anderson family in the TV show Father Knows Best.  Life was much simpler in the 1950s and 1960s, Daddy had the answers, Mom was cooking in the well appointed kitchen, and the house was immaculate.  Maybe 10 or 20 years ago I’d have chosen a more “hip” family, but this is how I feel today. I’m looking for a simpler life, I think.

That's the meme for this week!
- Catherine

1 comment:

Joyce said...

#6-your answer is what I wanted to say : )

I get #12...I agree. Happy almost anniversary!