Monday, November 1, 2010

One Year

Exactly one year ago today I said goodbye to my mother's life on this earth.  Luella Leeming Schanck Ohl was a complex woman with impressive strengths that made her unique.  She became one of my dearest friends in all the world. I miss her humor, her intelligence, her drive and yes, even her shortcomings and fears. They made her so human.

Mom was pretty much comatose on the last day of her life. She didn't open her eyes once all day and she didn't move a muscle all afternoon -- except once. I was sitting quietly with her, talking about how easy the transition would be when Jesus came to take her home, and how I would miss her so much. She stirred gently at the sound of my voice and then reached out her arms for me. It's a memory I will always treasure. Four hours later she breathed her last.

One year.

A year of difficult "firsts" and a year of grace and blessings in disguise.


- Catherine

4 comments:

Christy Duffy said...

Oh, Catherine. I pray the grace and blessings continue to rain down on you.

Joyce said...

Thinking of you today Catherine!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm praying for you today, Catherine. It will be four years this Christmas Eve when my mom passed. It does get easier ... but only slightly. Take care of yourself.

Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

A hard year to get through. Hugs and prayers