Friday, June 12, 2009

The Wardrobe

Over the past week, my mother noted that she needs some new blouses -- longer so that her swollen abdomen is hidden, preferably with sleeves at least to the elbow so that her emaciated arms are also somewhat hidden (the appearance of her arms is really bothering her at the moment).

Yesterday I went shopping and looked over the clearance racks at T.J. Maxx, where I found some linen blouses that must have been leftover from the Spring inventory (because who wears linen in the winter?!). Well, that seemed perfect -- linen is cool in the summer, so she wouldn't be suffering so much from the heat while wearing longer sleeves. I picked up four blouses for about $25 and shipped them off to her immediately from the local UPS Store.

I figured I'd better let Mom know that the blouses are coming, so I called to tell her I'd found some that I thought would be suitable and had sent them off to her. Want to know what my indomitable mother asked me?

"Will they work for winter?"

I was actually speechless for a half-second, because I've got this mind-set that she won't be around next winter to worry about a wardrobe.

Obviously she's thinking differently.



That, too, is my mom!

-Cath

1 comment:

Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

Your mom just sounds like such a cool lady. I love that you're letting us get to know the person she is, through these glimpses.