Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

First, let me extend my thanks to everyone who has wished me well during this ordeal with my shoulder -- I truly appreciate everyone's concern!

While my shoulder is still bothersome, I am able to type for short periods of time now – with two hands, that is. Thank goodness! I’ve been typing in excess of 70 words per minute since I was in high school. Being reduced to one hand was really a trial, to say the least. My husband (who has had only one arm for the last 20+ years) couldn’t resist saying what I knew was coming when I complained about it: “Welcome to my world,” he joked.

But even one-handed, I can still type faster than he can. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Today I have another therapy session and then it’s off to the grocery store for some things we’ll need this weekend. I will be careful not to do too much with my left arm, though – the shoulder is still pretty touchy.

My gluten-free stuffing attempt of last week didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped, so I will be experimenting again today with a different mixture of seasonings. The texture of the stuffing was really great – but the taste just wasn’t there. In fact, it was what I refer to as the “double whammy” – gluten free AND taste free.

In addition to the stuffing, I’ve found a recipe for gluten-free corn pudding that I’m planning to try today as well. If it works, it will go with us to the Thanksgiving feast at my mother-in-law’s house tomorrow. Or maybe I’ll keep it for our weekend parties (of which there will be a few).

Thanksgiving weekend is one of my favorites here in Pocatello. There are a lot of things going on in town – a parade of lights, an evening of fireworks, special shopping events in Old Town, all kinds of fun, small-town stuff. I’m thankful to live in a place where community is so important.

I read an interesting article yesterday in Christianity Today online about how a daily spirit of thankfulness can really help a marriage partnership get through the tough times. That concept seems like a no-brainer at first glance, but the subtlety of the attitude orientation really has quite a powerful effect. A habitual spirit of thankfulness preserves and protects the partnership, rather than letting everyday life tear at its fabric. I like that. And I think that same principle can be applied to all of life.

My cousin, Karen, ends every one of her blog entries with the reminder, “Be thankful.” Today I will do the same.

Be thankful!

Catherine

No comments: