Monday, November 3, 2008

Humbled

So, while I've been whining about life, everything from uncivil discourse to my mother's health, what I didn't know is that old friends (with whom I have been out of touch) have been coping with their toddler's cancer. And that cancer, after a 15-month ordeal of often torturous treatment, has returned and now threatens their child's life.

No complaint that I have in my life could ever equal the pain and terror of this situation. It is every parent's nightmare.

Please pray for Ben and for his parents, Carin and Jeff. He's three. It's neuroblastoma. His parents are beyond worn out and need every ounce of strength and courage that they can get.

If you want to read their odyssey, you can find it here. Click on the Journal link to see all the posts.

UPDATE this afternoon: the new tumors in Ben's brain are growing so rapidly (i.e. overnight) that the doctors have determined further treatment to be futile. Ben was sent home this afternoon with his parents. Their only focus now is to treasure every moment that they have left with their first-born son.

1 comment:

Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

This kind of tragedy in particular makes me sad AND angry and ...all sorts of things. Prayers going up for mercy, and for the warmth of the Loving Arms through it.