Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Casey at the Bat? Nah!

It's the bottom of the first and the bases are loaded.

At bat: one of the team's worst hitters (if not THE worst).

That would be little ole me.

The pitcher threw a couple of balls and then a couple of strikes. On the third would-be strike, I managed to actually connect with the ball.

Result:  a double.  And an RBI of 3.  To top it all off, I went on to score two runs in the game.

This experience -- for a one-time high school non-athlete with a C average in gym class -- comes courtesy of our church softball league. Because here sportsmanship is everything and winning is a distant second. As I jumped up and down in glee on second base, an opposing teammate (the second base-woman) came over and high-fived me. We both exclaimed with great enthusiasm that it's amazing and wonderful when you can get on base!

Incidentally, my skills as a catcher are improving too, both in fielding and throwing the ball.

So, I have a bonafide statistic of my own now and a couple of successful at-bats under my belt. Yeah!  Who says you can't learn new things in middle age???

P.S. -- Tim took me out for a celebratory dinner. I earned it! Woo hoo!!





1 comment:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Good for you! I am not athletic at all ... my idea of catching a ball is reaching my hands out but turning my head the other way with my eyes squinched shut tight! Crazy, I know.